#self reliance# #independence#
My dear friend,
I trust you are keeping well. I have a desire that is expressed below these words;
Teach me how to fish. Don’t give me fish.
If you give me fish, I will go hungry again, and will need another fish from you. You will then get tired of me.
If you give me fish, I will eat only what you have given me, and be left with nothing. I will suffer from hunger.
Teach me how to fish, dear friend;
- So that before the storm arises, I will have already got my fish.
- So that I can eat two fishes today and ten of them tomorrow.
- So that I can eat fish anytime I feel hungry.
- So that I can sell what’s left after fishing, and so I can become rich just apart from eating fish.
- So that I can teach those who don’t know how to fish the same way you taught me.
- So that I can know what fishing is all about.
A good friend teaches another, the secret of doing things. My only true friend is the one who is willing to teach me how to fish. I believe you are one kind of friend.
Teach me how to fish, dear friend. Don’t give me fish. I don’t want to depend on your skill. I want to live independently. Please give me freedom.
Do not be sel-fish. Be generous. Lend me knowledge freely. Teach me, and you will have left a legacy when you die.
Letter from Chinua.